Clemencic ConsortThe Clemencic Consort is an early-music ensemble comprised of international artists under the direction of René Clemencic. It performs in varying combinations of voices and instruments, depending on the programme.
P R O G R A M M E S E L E C T I O N
* = CD
= Click here for audio sample
RENÉ CLEMENCIC AS A SOLOIST
Flauto magico: René Clemencic as a soloist on various r e c o r d e r s : music from the Middle Ages to the Avantgarde, , i.e. gemshorn, double flute, garkleinflötlein, one-hand flute, medieval, Renaissance and Baroque flutes, played and commentated by René Clemencic, a programme much loved by the audience.
René Clemencic on the c l a v i c h o r d , the most quiet, expressive and delicate of all keyboard instruments, again with personal commentary. Unknown masterpieces of the Renaissance: 17 different programmes (e.g. Cabezón, F. da Milano, Josquin, Luys Milan).
*1x2, 1x3 CDs (Arte Nova)
DUO ORIENT-OKZIDENT: René Clemencic on various flutes and Esmail Vasseghi, an excellent Persian musician, playing the santur (Persian dulcimer) and tombak (Persian goblet drum).
MEDIEVAL TRIO I and II / Music of the Middle Ages between Christianity and Islam: hurdy-gurdy and voice added, two different programmes depending on the casting.
M U S I C O F T H E M I D D L E A G E S
* Carmina Burana , 13th century original version, one of our most popular and successful programmes - 6 musicians.
* Asinaria Festa , 12th century, medieval offices and feasts of fools on the day of the subdeacon, turning values upside down, like airing wine casks once a year to avoid their blowing up - 9 musicians.
* Chantar d'Amors / Music of the troubadours of Provence - 7 musicians.
* Las Cantigas de Santa Maria by Alfonso El Sabio, Rey de Castilia - 7 musicians.
* Le Roman de Fauvel , a bitter satire criticizing the intolerable conditions at the court of the French kings and the papal court of Avignon; composed between 1310 and 1316 in Paris - 10 musicians.
Occidental, Hungarian, Turkish and Persian ballads, songs and dances from the
13th to the 17th centuries - 8-9 musicians
MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE SACRED MUSIC
* La Messe de Nostre Dame by Guillaume de Machault : 12 musicians
(4 singers, hurdy-gurdy/voice, kobos/chitarra saracena/lute/guimbard, lyra/rubebe/fiddle, shawm/recorder, tromba angelica, cornett/bagpipe tromba marina, percussion/carillon, dulcimer/percussion). Local Choral Schola & church choir of 30-40 people. Choreographed feast in the honour of St. Mary.
* Magnificat, Hymni, Motetti by G. Dufay : 3 singers, cornett, positive organ.
* John Dunstable / Sacred music of the English late Gothic : 3 singers, positive organ.
* J. Ockeghem / Missa sine nomine ; 3 singers, Renaissance trombone, positive organ.
J. Ockeghem / Requiem: 5 singers, cornett, 3 Renaissance trombones, timpani, pos. organ.
Sacred music of the Netherlands from Gothic to early Renaissance / J. Obrecht and A. Willaert : 4 singers, cornett, positive organ.
Music at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris / Perotinus Magnus (c. 1200): 4 singers, 3 carillon players, positive organ.
Josquin Despretz / Motets for the liturgical year : 5 singers, 3 Renaissance trombones, positive organ.
* La Messe de Tournai / Sacred music of the late Middle Ages: 4 singers, positive organ, cornett, carillon.
* Music at the Imperial Court Chapel of Emperor Maximilian I in Vienna / Josquin, Isaac, Senfl. Participants: Choral Schola of the Vienna Imperial Court Chapel, members of the Vienna Boys' Choir (about 16 singers); Clemencic Consort (cornett, 3 Renaissance trombones, positive organ).
De profundis / Franco-flemish Motets of the High Renaissance: Josquin, Obrecht, de la Rue and others , with the same participants.
A lively and amusing RENAISSANCE programme is Ein Aussbund teutscher Liedlein zu singen und auff allerley Instrument zu gebrauchen (a profusion of German songs accompanied by diverse instruments) - 10 musicians.
B A R O Q U E
PROGRAMMES FOR A SMALL & MEDIUM ENSEMBLE
* Laudate pueri:
I Arias, Duets and Pastoral Songs / H. Schütz, G. Cavazzoni, C. Monteverdi, L. da Viadana, G. Finetti etc. – Sprano, counter-tenor, harpsichord / positive organ / different recorders
II Arias, Duets and Pastoral Songs for Voice and Baroque instruments: soprano, counter-tenor, Baroque guitar, violone, bagpipe, positive organ / harpsichord / different recorders
A. Vivaldi / La Stravaganza : Concerti, suonate, sinfonie. 5 Baroque string instruments, harpsichord / positive organ. * Demo CD
Marco Uccellini / Compositioni armoniche sopra il violino ed altri strumenti: a highly virtuoso programme. Cornett, 2 Baroque violins, Baroque cello, recorder, positive organ / harpsichord.
Virtuoso Baroque music from Austria / Schmelzer, Biber, Corbetta, Caldara, Perrone, Fux: Baroque violins, Baroque guitar, harpsichord / positive organ / recorder.
Dal povero mio cor / Arie amorose : Lanzetti, Caldara, Zamboni, Veracini, Porpora, Scarlatti . Mezzo soprano, recorder / harpsichord, chitarrone, Baroque cello.
Ardo, sospiro e piango: love songs, arias and duets of the Italian late Baroque: Steffani, Ruvo, Stradella, Galilei, Gianoncelli - 1 male and 1 female soprano, lute, Baroque cello, harpsichord.
Soavi Concerti / Cantate, arie, madrigali, motetti, sinfonie e ricercari : 17th century music Frescobaldi, Caccini, Carissimi, Gabrielli, Granata , presenting a stunning Roumanian male soprano; Baroque guitar, Baroque cello, positive organ / harpsichord, recorder.
* J. J. Fux / Concentus musico-instrumentalis : Baroque string quintet, harpsichord / positive organ.
* J. J. Fux / Requiem for emperor Karl (Charles) VI. 7 singers, Baroque string quintet, 2 trombones, positive organ
J. J. Fux / Il Testamento del nostro Signor Gesù Cristo sul Calvario (oratorio)
* H. I. F. von Biber / Mensa Sonora: 4 Baroque strings, 2 clarion trumpets, harpsichord / positive organ
* H. I. F. von Biber / Sonatae tam aris quam aulis servientes 6 strings, 2 clarion trumpets, harpsichord / positive organ
* H. I. F. von Biber / Harmonia artificiosa-ariosa : 4 strings, chitarrone, harpsichord / positive organ
* H. I. F. von Biber / Fidicinium sacro-profanum 6 strings, harpsichord / positive organ
Music at the Imperial Court of Karl (Charles) VI. / A. Caldara – Counter-tenor, 4 Baroque strings, Baroque guitar, harpsichord
F. Geminiani / Sonate e Concerti grossi: 7 Baroque strings, harpsichord / positive organ
MEDIUM & MAJOR PROGRAMMES
O Austria Gaude* is a large festival programme of music at the Habsburg Court in Vienna which includes compositions by the emperors Leopold I and Joseph I . Demo CD
Music at the Vienna Imperial Court / Fux, Caldara, Schmelzer, emperor Joseph I, Draghi, emperor Leopold I, Herold and others: soprano, counter-tenor, various recorders / harpsichord, 4 Baroque strings, lute / theorbo
Music composed by Austrian Monarchs / Ferdinand III, Leopold I, Joseph I, all of whom were accomplished composers – Soprano, tenor, 4 (and more) Baroque strings, harpsichord / various recorders, Baroque oboe, recorders & percussion
René Clemencic has successfully revived and staged the " Sepolcri " (typically Viennese sacred dramas) composed by Emperor Leopold I , traditionally performed during the last week in Lent when opera was forbidden, e.g.
Il Lutto dell'Universo (the mourning of the Universe), a true church opera requiring a large Baroque orchestra; or Sig des Leydens Christi über die Sinnligkeit (The victory of our Lord's suffering over sensuousness) for a smaller ensemble, equally poignant.
* Stabat Mater & Salve Regina by G. B. Pergolesi : 2 singers, 6 instruments
A. Caldara / Missa dolorosa & Stabat Mater : 8 singers, 9 instruments.
Claudio Monteverdi / Musica Sacra : soprano, counter-tenor, tenor, bass, cornett, 2 Baroque trombones, Baroque violone, positive organ
J. H. Schmelzer / Sacro-profanus Concentus Musicus : 6 strings, viola da gamba, harpsichord / positive organ
G. Muffat / Armonico Tributo : 6 strings, chitarrone, harpsichord / positive organ)
A.Vivaldi / from L'Estro armonico, plus a concerto by Pisendel : 7 strings, harpsichord.
A.Vivaldi / Juditha triumphans: Oratorio
* A. Vivaldi / Serenata a tre , and the operas * L'Olimpiade and Orlando
G. Carissimi / Jephte , a programme of Biblical Histories
Pia et fortis mulier / Johann Kaspar Kerll – jesuite opera
Assalone punito / Pietro Andrea Ziani – oratorio / church opera
* Torrejón y Velasco & Calderón de la Barca / La Púrpura de la Rosa (Lima, 1701); first opera in the New World; story of Venus and Adonis.
G. F. Händel / Acis e Galatea ; opera.
* Testoride Argonauta / João de Sousa Carvalho ; a charming Portuguese opera in Italian language
C. Monteverdi / Orfeo and A. Sartorio / Orfeo ; operas.
* T. Albinoni / Il Nascimento de l'Aurora , Festa pastorale / chamber opera (Demo CD)etc.
RENÉ CLEMENCIC AS A COMPOSER
* Kabbala / Oratorio with text in Hebrew (70')
Apokalypsis / the complete Book of Revelations by St. John, set to the original Greek language version (210')
* Drachenkampf / a dance pantomime (74')
* Stabat Mater (35') - first performed in 2001 at the Todi Arte Festival in the context of a
3 Stabat Mater programme: Jacopone da Todi (medieval), Pergolesi (Baroque), Clemencic (contemporary); very well received by the audience!
Der Berg , chamber opera with text by Konrad Bayer (60'). World premiere at Festival Carinthischer Sommer, August 24, 2003. A meditative, almost Zen work. (*Demo CD)
Other compositions include: Unus Mundus , Missa Mundi , Estasi , Reise nach Niniveh , the piano trios Jerushalajim & Das Haus , Der Schlüssel zum Paradies (S, Vl, Pf), Monduntergang / Operelle, Opus for Recorder and Strings , etc. (*Demo CDs)
«Top of Page» «Back to Startpage»